Thursday, December 20, 2012

Just do it!


2 Timothy 1:5-7

 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.  This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.  For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

            This was one of the scriptures I was given in Honduras, it was written on a card and it was lying on the table when I sat down for breakfast.  It is a powerful piece of scripture to start my day.  It is so easy to feel inadequate to the tasks that are set in front of me sometime.  I was tired that morning and on the schedule for Evangelism.  I was not afraid of Evangelism but more about being able to connect and find common ground with the Honduran people in those short moments that day.  We seemed so different and in many ways we are, but there are some small pieces of common ground to find.  For me it was kids and family.

            I am often shocked at how God will put something in front of me and I begin to worry if I can pull it off.  Then I am reminded that it is not a solo mission, God’s spirit is in me. But, I am quick to create my own roadblock and then struggle to see my way through them.  But the roadblocks only exist in my mind, not in the mind of God and not in reality. 

            It is like Paul tells Timothy in this passage, Timothy has been given a gift to be used to serve God.  How much different is it for us?  The Jesus told his followers that the spirit would come and gift them, and Paul reminds Timothy and us to fan the flame and put it to work. 

            If God gives us the passion, and set our heart to motion we have to realize that he will empower us to see it through.  I think it is also good to put ourselves around others to help fan the flames for us.   Let other people see in us what refuse to see in ourselves. 

            You will not know what God can do in your life until you step out and let his spirit work in your life.  So, Just do it!

 

            I pray that God will work in your life this New Year and move you in new direction past self imposed roadblocks that have stood in your way too long.  Have a blessed New Year!  For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment