Saturday, March 9, 2013

Treasures and Pearls

Matthew 13:44-46 (NIV)

 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

            This is one Parable that I do not remember teaching, until very recently.  I think I just skipped over it because it made me uncomfortable.  First, I did not fully get what it was saying about the Kingdom of heaven.  Second, I was not sure what to make of selling everything because most Christians can follow Jesus and keep their stuff.  Even in Acts you do not see this as a universal principle, some people did sell everything and others did not.  Even Zacchaeus only sold half of all what he had, while Matthew the tax collector sold everything.  So what was Jesus trying to tell us about the Kingdom of Heaven by this passage?

            When Jesus talks about the Kingdom of Heaven he is not talking about an earthly Kingdom. But at the same time, it is made up of people from all over the earth.  The highlight of the Kingdom is that those who are a part of it live and think differently.  Here is how I see it:  I feel that sinful thinking is like this, the many good things God gave us are twisted so they lead us away from God. So kingdom thinking is the opposite, the good things we have are twisted in great ways that bring us closer to Christ likeness.    

            And this passage is really not about investing, as in both stories the men sell everything to buy something of seemingly equal value.  But like I said I think this passage is about how we think, so that is why I feel I now have a better understanding of this passage.  I just came back from Honduras and while in Honduras I met some people who think differently.  And when I ran across this parable it was like a light bulb flashed to life above my head.  It is about understanding true value, going from just having stuff to having a treasure worth treasuring. It is about knowing what God treasures.  Because it is in human nature to treasure things that are not worthy of our hearts, unfortunately we give our hearts away cheaply.  Understanding true treasure is really about seeing what God sees, and treasuring what God treasures.

            I think it is interesting that Jesus used two illustrations here.  I believe it is because people are unique and God works with our uniqueness.  Not all treasures are going to shine as brightly for me as they do for someone else.  But, we need to keep our eyes open; we need to always be on a treasure hunt. 

            But now I sit back, and think… It seems my wife and I have just had the chance to stumble across our treasure… What kind of thinking drives us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment